What is Novolin®ge Toronto used for?
• The treatment of patients with diabetes mellitus who require insulin for the control of hyperglycemia (high blood sugar).
How does Novolin®ge Toronto work?
Novolin®ge Toronto is human insulin used to treat diabetes.
Novolin®ge Toronto is an antidiabetic agent used for the treatment of diabetes mellitus as it reduces the level of sugar in the blood and urine. To control your diabetes, your doctor has prescribed Novolin®ge
Novolin®ge Toronto is a fast-acting insulin. This means that it will start to lower your blood sugar about ½ an hour after you take it, and the effect will last for approximately 8 hours. Novolin®ge Toronto is often
given in combination with longer-acting insulin products.
What are the ingredients in Novolin®ge Toronto?
Medicinal ingredients: The active ingredient in Novolin®ge Toronto is Insulin Injection, Human Biosynthetic, (Regular). Novolin®ge Toronto is a solution for injection containing Biosynthetic Human
Serious Warnings and Precautions
• Hypoglycemia is the most common adverse effect of insulin including Novolin®ge.
• If hypoglycemic or hyperglycemic reactions are not treated they can result in the loss of consciousness, coma or death.
• Glucose monitoring is recommended for all patients with diabetes.
• Any change of insulin should be made cautiously and only under medical supervision. This may result in dosage adjustment.
• Novolin®ge Toronto should be given before a meal because of the fast onset of action (start of the meal should be within 30 minutes of injection).
• Novolin®ge Toronto should not be used if it is not water-clear and colourless. Due to the risk of precipitation in some pump catheters, Novolin®ge Toronto is not recommended for use in insulin pumps.
Insulin produced by recombinant DNA methods using S. cerevisiae (baker’s yeast) and followed by unique purification processes. Human Insulin (biosynthetic) is structurally identical to natural human insulin.
Non-medicinal ingredients: Zinc chloride, glycerol, metacresol, sodium hydroxide, hydrochloric acid and water for injections.
Novolin®ge Toronto comes in the following dosage forms
Novolin®ge Toronto is available from Novo Nordisk Canada in the following formats:
• Novolin®ge Toronto 10 mL vial
• Novolin®ge Toronto Penfill® 3 mL cartridge
Novolin®ge Toronto Penfill® cartridges are designed for use with Novo Nordisk Insulin Delivery Devices, NovoFine® and/or NovoTwist® needles.
Novo Nordisk cannot be held responsible for malfunctions occurring as a consequence of using Novolin®ge Toronto Penfill® insulin cartridges in combination with products that do not meet the same specifications or quality standards as NovoFine® and/or NovoTwist® needles.
Do not use Novolin®ge Toronto if:
• You feel a hypoglycemic reaction (low blood sugar) coming on. (see ‘What are possible side effects from using Novolin®ge Toronto?’) for more about hypoglycemia.
• You are allergic (hypersensitive) to Insulin, Human Biosynthetic, metacresol or any of the other ingredients in this insulin. Look out for the signs of an allergic reaction. (see ‘What are possible side effects from using Novolin®ge Toronto?’)
• In insulin infusion pumps.
• The Penfill® cartridge or the Novo Nordisk Insulin Delivery Device containing the insulin is dropped, damaged or crushed; there is a risk of leakage of insulin.
• The protective cap on the vial is loose or missing. Each vial has a protective, tamper-proof plastic cap. If it is not in perfect condition when you get the vial, return the vial to your supplier.
• The insulin has not been stored correctly or if it has been frozen. (see ‘How to store Novolin®ge Toronto?’)
• The insulin does not appear water-clear and colourless.